Polyurethane waterproofing products are excellent materials for waterproofing, which is an absolute must during most construction processes.
General information about polyurethane waterproofing
Waterproof polyurethane is a popular option for waterproofing applications because it can be applied relatively quickly and easily. Additionally, you can use polyurethane waterproofing products both during and after the construction process. Common applications include roofs, balconies, terraces, kitchens, basements, patios and wet areas.
The advantages of polyurethane waterproofing are clear: in addition to fast and easy application, it features a seamless finish, and offers durability as well as resistance to UV, water, weather conditions, and many chemicals.
Polyurethane consists of two components: isocyanide acts as the reactor component, and polyol serves as the base. The proper ratio yields a liquid coating for waterproofing applications.
Selecting the right polyurethane waterproofing
When you select your polyurethane waterproofing product, check the scope of use specified in the technical data sheet (TDS) to make sure it is suitable for your job. The TDS contains other information that is relevant to your selection, including the breathability and application temperature range of the PU waterproofing product. If your polyurethane waterproofing needs to withstand foot traffic, certain chemicals, or particular weather elements (such as humidity), you also need to take this into consideration.
Polybit Polythane P is a liquid applied, hybrid-polyurethane-based coating used for waterproofing kitchens, bathrooms and other wet areas as well as roofs, terraces, balconies and other exposed concrete surfaces. This PU waterproofing coating forms a highly elastomeric, flexible and durable coating and has excellent temperature and UV resistance. Due to its low VOC, this waterproofing and protective coating is environmentally friendly.
How to apply polyurethane waterproofing products
1. Materials. In addition to the polyurethane waterproofing product, you require a mixing device and a roller, brush or airless spray.
2. Substrate and primer. Make sure the concrete surface is clean and dry. On absorbent surfaces, a priming coat is recommended to seal pores and stabilise the surface before the application of a polyurethane waterproof coating. Polybit Polythane P can be used as a primer by diluting it 1:1 with water.
3. Application. Consult the TDS to see whether your polyurethane waterproofing product is ready-to-use or needs to be thinned. Polybit Polythane P for example is a single component product that doesn’t need to be thinned. Mix Polybit Polythane P thoroughly to remove any sediment before applying the coating with a brush or roller. Cover the entire surface.
4. Additional layers. See your TDS to find out whether you need to apply multiple layers of PU waterproofing coating and how long you need to wait between coats. Polybit Polythane P has to be applied in at least two coats. Make sure to let the first coat dry completely before applying the second coat crosswise.
5. Reinforcement. Use sealing strips to reinforce all corners. Whilst still wet, embed the tape into the first layer. Leave to dry and cover fully with the second coat. Full strength will be achieved after 7 days of curing.
6. Clean-up. You can clean tools with water immediately after use. If the polyurethane waterproofing product has dried, use industrial solvents.